Thursday, June 02, 2005

Porous borders bad ...

Chuck of From My Position... has an excellent post today on Immigration. It seems that the porous nature of the borders of Iraq, where he is currently located, motivated him to write.

He writes from a perspective I understand, having lived in Southern California myself, and keeps the language simple ...

Porous borders are bad. Migrant workers are good. Now, before I go pissing off everyone about NAFTA and such, I spent some time growing up in California. Not too many Anglos out there picking lettuce. (Actually, the choice crop was artichokes, but you get the picture.) Most of the people who did this backbreaking (hey, mom used to force us to go with her in the summer and pick strawberries/blueberries/beans/peas/corn/whatever was in season—its backbreaking) work were Mexicans. I never bothered to ask for a green card, but I imagine there weren’t any out there.

There's quite a bit more, and he says some great things. Go there and read the rest ...