Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Standing up to the Phelps clan

I went wandering about the web seeking coverage of this day in history, to see what kind of D-Day coverage was to be found.

The answer? Nada … Zip … Zilch.

I didn’t find a thing on MSNBC, USA Today, NY Times, or either of the local papers – nothing about D-Day, that is. A couple had items about the supposed significance of 6/6/06 (registration required for NY Times story), but not as it relates to this date in history. For any coverage of D-Day, you’ll need to visit Milblogs, Castle Argghhh, One Marine’s View, Smash or Blackfive (who has a marvelous compendium of links!).

However, I did find one item that lifted my spirits a bit. After hearing so many stories of the cruel-natured behavior and stupidity of the Phelps band in protesting at the funerals of fallen servicemembers, it was a pleasure to read that one parent has decided that he’s had enough.

Mr. Albert Snyder, the father of Marine Lance Corporal Matthew A. Snyder, has filed an invasion of privacy suit against the Westboro Baptist Church, seeking unspecified damages. Matthew Snyder was 20 when he died on March 3, after an accident in the Anbar province of Iraq.

‘I want it to stop’
After filing the suit, Snyder said at a news conference that he hoped a hefty judgment would leave the church members unable to afford travel for more protests.

“I want it to stop,” he said of the protests. “I didn’t know there were people in the world who did that.” (snip)

I expect that the Snyder family will need much support in this effort, because the Phelps clan has demonstrated that they are bad actors, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. If anyone learns of a support effort to help the Mr. Snyder with pursuing the suit, or just a place to leave supportive messages, please leave a comment so that I can link to it.

We owe Matthew, and all the rest of our fallen heroes, nothing less.