Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pledge allegiance to the Flag, not the man

The Pledge of Allegiance is an 'oath of loyalty to the U.S. flag and the nation it represents.' Over the years, there has been controversy about the inclusion of the words "under God", and I understand that there are schools where it is not recited at the start of the day, as it was every day of my public school experience. But when the pledge is spoken, it is directed to the flag, as our symbol of the country and the Constitution it is built on.

Changing the focus from the flag, and the country behind it, to any person, is wrong. I don't care if that person is the President.

This isn't an oath of allegiance, but indoctrination – maybe hero worship. If I were a parent whose child attended a school such as this, the principal and school board would be hearing from me.