Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The real tragedy in the Seattle shooting

(updates below)

Another stupid and senseless killing occurred in Seattle Saturday morning, when a gunman killed several seven young people at an 'after-rave' party. Heartless Libertarian is on top of the predictable-but-stupid attitude of the lefty news and commentary being blathered about here on the radio and in the papers.

I think that the real tragedy here is being completely ignored by the media attention, though. First off, the whole concept of the 'rave party' escapes me. The partiers were dressed as zombies, and the theme was "Better off Undead". I can't even start to understand these kids.

Worse yet, two of the victims were under 18.

Suzanne Thorne, 15, gunshot to head. Attended the party with her 18-year-old boyfriend. Her mother, Nancie, told The Seattle Times she did not approve of her daughter going to raves.

Melissa Lynn Moore, 14, shot in the chest and head. Her father said she loved to dance and meet people. He trusted the older friends with whom she attended raves.

I am very sad for all of the parents, but I cannot understand the parents of these two children. I don't care how much you "trust" the people involved - a 14-15 year old does Not need to attend this kind of event. And 'not approving' of the raves? I'm sorry - that means you put your foot down and say "No". My parents didn't have any trouble telling me No when it was the best thing for me, I can tell you that!

I think the tragedy here is that these girls were in a place they clearly should not have been, and it makes me sad that the media thinks the biggest tragedy is that the gunman owned guns.

I have no children, so it is obviously easy for me to have these opinions. I'd like to hear from all of you who have kids - of any age. What do you think about all of this?

** UPDATE **

The Analog Kid makes some good points about Chief Kerlikowske and the potential for a drug angle on this story, and warns that we gun owners should prep for rough times ahead.