Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thank a Veteran today

Today is for thanking Veterans for their service, no matter when they served, and no matter for how long. Today is about the living, mostly, since we remember the fallen on Memorial Day. You can't really talk about one without the other, as John says.

Many of my family have served over the years, including my father and grandfather, both gone, but not forgotten. I have several uncles who served during and after WWII, and one in the early 60's. My brother joined the Army in 1971 - and we breathed a sigh of relief when he was stationed in Germany rather than sent to Vietnam. My cousin left the Navy a few years ago, and his daughter spent much time with her grandparents because of it. I have to thank them all -- their quiet service ingrained in me a pride for our military services.

I will have an opportunity today to thank some very special veterans. A big Veteran's Day event is scheduled at the Museum of Flight in Seattle ...


Museum of Flight
(click on the picture to go to the Museum of Flight page)

If I can get in to this, I will have the chance to shake hands with some Veterans who wear the Medal of Honor. Since the event information doesn't include the names of those who will be present, I will have to report back later. It's going to be a great day!

THANK YOU, VETERANS!