Sunday, July 10, 2005

London commuters speak

An acquaintance in London pointed me to a Guardian piece sharing quotes and images of London commuters on Friday morning. If you needed any proof of the resilience of the Brits ... here is is.

Bev Deacon, 47
'I felt scared getting on the tube at a quarter to nine this morning - I didn't want to get on, I was looking around at everybody with a bag, and I was very glad to get off. This evening I'm going home on the bus and I'll be just as scared, but you've just got to do it.'

Rosemary Broadbent, 31, solicitor
'I didn't feel nervous getting on the tube today after what they said yesterday about taking all the trains off the tracks to check them all; in fact, it felt a lot safer. The attacks could have happened to anyone at any time. I'm just going to carry on with my life as it is. I'm not going to let anyone dictate how I should live my life.'

Saeran Ramaya, 23, trainee solicitor
'I used a different line today and thought it would be a lot busier but there didn't seem to be many people on the platform. It was probably quicker. I was a bit apprehensive getting on the tube today. My flatmate and I decided to travel together, which we don't ever do. My heart was beating a bit faster but you just have to get on with it, haven't you?'