Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Read My Lips

I talked about the chipping away at the First Amendment the other day in this post. Two radio talk show hosts supported the signing of petitions to ensure a ballot initiative against the recent Gas Tax hike in Washington State were judged to have made 'In-Kind' donations to the initiative campaigns by their discussions with the calling public.

Similarly, I write here about my political viewpoints, for my own enjoyment, to rant about the things that frustrate, to support the military, and so on. It is my right, by the First Amendment, to say it here, just as much as I have the right to speak it on a street corner or on a public stage.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


However, thanks to some who accepted payment for their blog opinions, the unwieldy axe of McCain-Feingold is headed towards the blogworld. The threat is to make FEC rules regarding election finance apply to blogs.

ALa at Blonde Sagacity has a very simple rule to suggest ...
I believe that Bloggers that did/will take campaign money --like Daily Kos-- who I hold personally responsible for opening these floodgates, should be subject to FEC rules --but those of us who are only exercising our right to free speech ...for free, should not be effected by these rulings…

For the record - I agree with that as a guideline. Check my sidebar - I don't have any kind of donation button, there is nothing coming to me as a result of this blog - except the community of civil discourse.

So Read My Lips ... This is my living room - or better yet - my back deck. Come here to discuss, debate, tell jokes, share news, etc. Just don't try to limit my free speech. I hereby stake my right to post on whatever topics I wish, as is my right!

"The role of the blog [has been vital] in reawakening of public participation in the political process, the likes of which we've not seen since politics were openly argued in the town squares and roadside inns of bygone times."
(McCain-Feingold Insurrection)

The new flag flying at the top of the sidebar is my signal, it shows I have joined the Insurrection. Visit them to register your support, add your voice, and get a flag, if you too want to fly one.