Monday, August 29, 2005

Where do we find these great people?

That isn't really a question, because I know the answer even as I say it. Who am I talking about? The incredible men and women in our military. The ones who give up a 'normal' life (if there is such a thing) to put on a uniform, swear an oath, and defend this country "against all enemies, foreign or domestic".

People like American Soldier, who is writing a new chapter, and Saturday took that oath when he re-enlisted. And he explains why :

... I didn’t need to re-enlist. I did it because in this day and age, where there is so much unpredictability, there needs to be Soldiers who will stand to defend our beloved country and freedoms. No matter if you are a supporter or not, you can count on a Soldier to preserve what many people take for granted. Freedom!

That's what I'm talking about.

Over at Firepower Forward, Firepower5 reflects on why he fights as well. And he answers the question of how to truly support the troops, and how to show gratitude for that support.