Thursday, March 17, 2005

What a relief!

Warning - discussion of bodily functions ahead! Proceed at your own risk ...

A couple of years ago I traveled to Bangalore, India on business, and had my first experience with a culture really different from my own. Many of the differences were expected - food, dress, languages, etc.

I still recall my surprise when I discovered that cows were sharing the road equally with cars, buses, motor scooters, bicycles and autorickshaws on the route from hotel to work. After traveling this route every day for 3 weeks, it became just another common place occurance.

I was, however, unprepared for the realization that large portions of the population had no qualms about relieving themselves in public places. Note that I'm not talking here about stepping behind a tree off the side of the road. No siree - I'm talking about men standing just off the street, beyond what passed for a sidewalk, taking care of business against a handy wall. The street in question was M.G. Road, short for Mahatma Ghandi Road, and was a large thoroughfare, along which sat 5-star hotels and the local shopping district! That's when I really knew I wasn't in Seattle anymore :-)

These memories came back to me as I read this story over at Nothing to see here...
Hat tip to MyView for the link.