Thursday, June 09, 2005

So many books, so little time

Desultory Girl is too sweet to turn down a request, and she loves to share!

So my assigned task is to share my library with you all.

I love to read ... mostly fiction, but I enjoy tales of history and military events when well told. My library is smaller than I would like, since I have been informed by the master of the house that I am limited to the shelf space I already have. In other words, if I want to buy new books, I have to get rid of old ones to make room ... Horrors!

Here is the shelf that currently contains the bulk of the fiction ...


This one has all of the other books such as travel, history, humor, and the fiction overflow ...


That's it, two bookcases - keep it in mind ...

1. Number of books I own:
Somewhere around 800 ...
What is not obvious in the picture is that the single Fiction shelf has all of the paperbacks doubled up front/back! The average count is about 50 - 60 per shelf, call it 55 ... and there are 10 shelves (devoted to paperbacks), so about 550 total. Chuck in the 50-odd other books on the first shelf, and the 200 or so from the other shelf, and there you have it!

2. Last book(s) bought:
Dereliction of Duty by Col. Robert "Buzz" Patterson, USAF, Ret.
Peace Kills by P.J. O'Rourke

3. Last book read:
The Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter

4. Five books that mean a lot to me:
In no particular order ...
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Voyage from Yesteryear by James P. Hogan
The Sketch Book by Washington Irving

The reason I include The Sketch Book has little to do with its contents. It is a collection of Irving's stories, including the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. What is special about this book is the history.

I am not certain of the exact publishing date, but there is a forward which is dated 1848. The volume that I have in my possession came from my Mother-in-law - and was originally purchased by her grandmother as a girl of 13. On the inside back leaf is a note which she wrote as an adult, remembering how she came to buy the book :

When I was about 13 years old, I found after buying my school clothes and books from the money I had earned picking hops, I had a few cents left to buy My Book!
I could really own the book I had wanted so long.
We lived in town but by going through pastures and climbing fences I reached the bank of the (?) river. There, walking along the bank, I read aloud to myself and the beautiful fur trees these sketches. It was a great joy and satisfaction.

This is such a treasure! I never met Great-Great-Grandmother Inez, of course, and even my MIL doesn't remember her well. But I know that I would have liked her!

I am supposed to tag 5 more folks to carry on the meme, but I have tagged so many lately, that I can't think right now who would not hunt me down and punish me!! Let's do this, instead.
If you would like to be tagged, leave me a comment - and I'll oblige ... O-tay?